Operations Manager - Ready Mix - Chicago and Surrounding Suburbs
Thank you for your interest in a career with Prairie Material. Prairie is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and supports diversity among its staff. We look forward to working with you!
Plans, organizes, directs and controls operations activities for ready mix concrete production.
- Determines appropriate staffing levels at all batch locations to meet customer demands in a cost effective and productive manner.
- Ensures employees are qualified and trained to perform job duties.
- Ensures compliance with company, state and federal DOT regulations.
- Coordinates the purchase, pick-up and delivery of raw materials to batch plants balancing cost, quality and availability.
- Ensures product produced meets customer specifications using the most cost effective and productive processes.
- Works closely with safety function to ensure the safety of employees and reliable operations.
- Works closely with dispatch function to ensure full and efficient utilization of assets.
- Works closely with quality function to ensure equipment and processes can produce according to customer and company specifications.
- Works closely with plant maintenance to ensure equipment is maintained in good working condition.
- Works closely with fleet maintenance to ensure vehicles are properly maintained according to company, local and state DOT and safety guidelines and regulations.
- Develops, implements and monitors operating and capital budgets.
- Visits plant locations to audit and observe production processes and equipment.
- Visits job sites to observe equipment and employee work practices.
- Ensures compliance with company, local, state and federal safety and environmental policies, programs and regulations.
- Reviews financial reports to determine areas of improvement and focus.
- Provides monthly reports on performance (cost, quality, productivity, etc.) for analysis and assessment.
- Analyzes production and financial information to determine short and long-term plans and needs.
- Works closely with sales and marketing to understand sales forecast projections and plan production capacity accordingly.
- Handles employee and customer complaints, questions and issues as needed.
- Participates in local and state professional organizations.
- Works closely with equipment and material vendors/suppliers to negotiate cost and ensure product specifications are met.
- Coordinates the timely and efficient use of corporate staff functions to support efficient operations.
- Stays abreast of changes and improvements in technology and processes.
- Conducts regular meetings with staff to discuss safety and operation performance.
- Provides training and development opportunities for staff based on individual and company needs.
- Participates in the selection, evaluation and purchase of new equipment.
- Participates on company safety committee.
- Assists with plant layout and design as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- HS diploma required with college degree strongly preferred. Additional training or education preferred with a concentration in engineering, business or construction-related curriculum.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a manufacturing environment with at least 5 years in ready mix concrete in a role with P/L responsibility.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience required.
- Valid driver’s license. Class B CDL preferred.
- Level I DOT certification required. Level II preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with personal computer and spreadsheet software (Excel).
- Demonstrated ability to analyze financial and production information.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communications.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize and to work independently.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Eligible candidates will be required to successfully pass a drug and alcohol screening, physical, and background check.
Applications must be completed in its entirety. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of an application.
«Return to Job Listings